Skip to content

Chick-Fil-A: The Sweetest Sensation of UMBC

November 17, 2009

IMG_0124

Last semester, the art of dining at UMBC was elevated to a whole, new level when a Chick-Fil-A opened on campus. Now I don’t know about you, but when the news broke that “the Chick” was coming to UMBCtown, my heart skipped a beat or two! Now mind you, UMBC’s Chick-Fil-A is a little smaller than the free-standing locations you find “out in the real world,” and the menu offers less choices as well, but hey- any Chick-Fil-A is better than NO Chick-Fil-A in my book. UMBC’s Chick-Fil-A still offers the ever-so-delicious chicken sandwich and the ever popular chicken nuggets if you’re looking to shoot pass the bread and get right to the good stuff. I don’t know what they put in that coating on their chicken, but I will say this- that recipe of “lovin’ goodness” makes me well, wanna be a better man! Add a side of perfectly-browned waffle fries and an ice cold drink (you have to try the half-n-half, which for those of you who have just landed on planet Earth = ½ lemonade + ½ iced tea), then sit back and listen for the fat lady to start singing! I do believe I could eat the condiments as a meal if I found that my back was against the wall. That Chick-Fil-A sauce is deee-lish too! If you happen to be watching your figure, you can opt for a salad. I have to say that they look great, all green and fresh, and I’m sure they taste great too, but me, I’m a meat-n-potatoes kind of guy so unless the oven there breaks, I’m goin’ with what I know-and love.

Now, the bummer part about this establishment (if I must be diplomatic) is that it’s only open Monday thru Friday, 7 A.M.-8 P.M.. If I ruled the world, it would be open 24 hours, but since I haven’t yet perfected that power, I’ll just take what I can get! If you decide to check Chick-Fil-A out, be prepared to wait in line! Trust me, once you taste the food, it’ll be as normal to you as waiting in line to see Santa is for little kids. Just think of it as “going to see the Wizard!”

If you wanna get all technical and such, you can check out Chick-Fil-A’s website; their food is cooked from fresh ingredients, which helps to make food items at Chick-Fil-A more favorable than many other fast food joints in the nutrition category. So, not only does the food taste great, but it’s fresh and stands out among its fellow fast-food restaurants when it comes to nutrition. My friend, I do believe we can call that a “win-win!” Oh yes, UMBC is an up-and-coming institution of higher learning, and our Chick-Fil-A is helping to blaze that path to glory!!! Yee-Ha! Save a horse, bite a bird! (Yep, I got a million of em!’) Stay tuned for COMING ATTRACTIONS- “Starbucks: The Java- Juice Phenomenon”…

- Ricky

About these ads
14 Comments leave one →
  1. Matt permalink
    November 19, 2009 5:18 am

The sheer amount of unadulterated cheerfulness that is bashing in my eye sockets leads me to believe that Chick-Fil-A payed you to write this or you work for the company in some fashion. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy Chick-Fil-A’s food, but seriously:

“I don’t know what they put in that coating on their chicken, but I will say this- that recipe of “lovin’ goodness” makes me well, wanna be a better man!”

or

“If you wanna get all technical and such, you can check out Chick-Fil-A’s website; their food is cooked from fresh ingredients, which helps to make food items at Chick-Fil-A more favorable than many other fast food joints in the nutrition category. So, not only does the food taste great, but it’s fresh and stands out among its fellow fast-food restaurants when it comes to nutrition.”

The sheer amount of cheesiness and accolades in this article makes me want to punch a puppy, just to return the world to the correct karmic balance. And I realize that this isn’t a newspaper article, that this is a blog and that you’re allowed to have biases and I do apologize for going off on you like this.

However, let’s pretend that this was something I enjoyed reading. There’s still a huge flaw in the premise of this post. In UMBCeats’s (I hope I punctuated that correctly) About section it says:

“UMBC Eats is a food blog written by students – for students.”

For students. Everyone on campus knows and has tried the Chick-Fil-A. It’s been here for almost two whole semesters. There is no need for an article about it. Everyone on campus has already formed their opinion on Chick-Fil-A, so why are you submitting your opinion so late in the game? I’ll point to another article recently published on this site:

This was such a cool article. It’s a place I didn’t know about, and even though I am apt to consume meat and dairy products I still really enjoyed it. This article was definitely in favor of the One World Cafe, but that’s okay because it was a place I had never heard of and I wanted to know what other people thought of it. Your article was the equivalent of going to a fashion blog and reading an article entitled, “PANTS ARE AMAZING. THEY COVER YOUR LEGS AND STUFF. I LOVE PANTS. PANTSSSSSSS!!!!” Everyone knows about pants and has formed an opinion on them, just like everyone knows about Chick-Fil-A and already has their opinion about that.

Again, I know I’m coming off like a giant jerk, and I apologize for that. I looked at some of the other things you’ve published on the blog, and while they are very upbeat, it’s just this one post that offends me so much. I found the rest to be perfectly fine.

2. Tim permalink
    November 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Is this a review or a commercial? I am having a hard time figuring that one out.

3. Mark permalink
    November 20, 2009 3:46 am

Chick-fil-A is extremely unhealthy, even though it claims to be an alternative to normal fast food chains. I was looking at Chick-fil-A’s website, and it seems as though you can’t find many items that aren’t lower than 20 grams in fat. Aside from the Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich and the salads, if you are going to eat Chick-fil-A, then you probably shouldn’t eat anything else that day.
    Not to mention, a healthy diet shouldn’t consist mainly of meat and dairy. Nutritionists generally recommend that you eat a diet rich in grains, fruits, and vegetables along with smaller proportions of meat and dairy. A trip to Chick-fil-A violates this principle completlely. You get a sandwich that’s essentially a hunk of meat and a little bit of bread, along with a Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake (31 grams of fat, 930 calories). You’ve essentially eaten only meat and dairy, and no vitamin and fiber rich vegetables. So in the end, not only are the people at Chick-fil-A hypocrites, but they are making the health care bill more expensive.

4. November 20, 2009 3:53 am

hahahaha I agree completely. I like pants too.

5. Ted permalink
    November 20, 2009 8:47 am

@Mark

There’s nothing wrong with eating at Chick-fil-A on occasion. If you want to continue to eat lettuce and oats all day, please be my guest. Eating one chicken sandwhich daily isn’t going to have ANY effect on your health at all in the slightest.

6. John permalink
    November 21, 2009 12:12 am

Relax nerds.

7. Brian permalink
    November 22, 2009 7:25 pm

Ricky, seriously? This is UMBC, not Bob Jones University.

8. Meg permalink
    November 22, 2009 10:13 pm

@Ted

Noo… there isn’t anything wrong with eating fast food on occasion… but DAILY?! That is much more than occasionally and will CERTAINLY have a negative impact on your health. To think otherwise is just foolishness!

9. Eric permalink
    November 23, 2009 12:15 am

I will say that the Waffle fries are delicious, and the lemonade is one of the tastiest drinks sold on campus.

10. Megan permalink
    November 23, 2009 1:06 am

btw, it closes around 4:30 on Fridays, not 8!

11. November 23, 2009 7:42 am

You’re going to IP ban a umbc IP address? Haha, good luck with that.

12. Ian permalink
    December 5, 2009 1:55 am

Mark, if you want to point out that Chick-Fil-A food is unhealthy, be my guest, but don’t get outraged just because someone isn’t calorie-counting like you are. Some of us just want to eat things that taste good and enjoy life while we’re here. Go write about your strict diet if you want to, but get off your soapbox about what other people like. I don’t care what nutritionists say or whether or not my chicken sandwich has my daily count of vitamins and fiber; if that offends you, you need to get a life. Before you ask, no, I’m not fat, and if I was, it would be none of your business.

13. Jim permalink
    December 16, 2009 1:21 am

Chick-Fil-A sucks son

14. Joe permalink
    September 6, 2012 9:13 pm

I’m offended that UMBC is continuing to allow Chick-Fil-A to operate on campus seeing as how Chick-Fil-A openly admits to donating over $2 Million, and plans on continuing to do so, to discrimination and hate groups. I say, shut-em down!