We all have foods that we love for memories. As a child, I remember my dad making me pasta. It was macaroni in a pink sauce. I was only three or four years old yet his macaroni dish was vivid to me, though he only made it once. Since then, Macaroni became one of my favorite things to make. So guess what’s for dinner tonight? I call this one “Macaroni in Red” which is basically Macaroni in Marinara sauce dressed in grated cheddar and sun dried tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 cup of Macaroni Pasta
- 8 pieces of sun dried tomato
- 5 Tbs of Marinara Sauce (more if desired)
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese (more if desired)
- chopped dried Parsley (or herbs of any kind) leaves (optional)
- boil pasta in salt water
- cut sun dried tomatoes to bits
- mix sun dried tomatoes with Marinara sauce.
- take out pasta and transfer into baking bowl
- grate the Cheddar cheese (as much desired), you can have some freedom with this!
- mix tomato sauce, grated cheese and macaroni in the bowl. Mix herbs also if desired. sprinkle some cheese on top.
- set the baking bowl in the oven. 375° for 8 minutes, or until the cheese on top melts.
I guess you can see that this is a more “grown up” version of the simple macaroni and cheese. It’s quick and easy to make — perfect for a week night dinner or if you are having some friends over and are eager to show off some culinary skills (or just too embarrassed to whip out another good old can of Chef Boyardee).
Thank you Italians for introducing tomato to pasta…Buon appetito!